Wednesday 10 April 2013

5d ETHICAL STANDARDS FOR MY PROFESSIONAL INQUIRY

Shared with SIG group - https://groups.google.com/d/forum/danceteacherssig 


My proposed inquiry is to research further:

"What learning styles and activities inspire boys to achieve?"

I aim to start my inquiry by looking at research that has already been conducted regarding the disparity between boys' and girls' academia. I will then look at learning styles/activities specifically geared towards boys and look at the evidence base for applying them to practice.

I will need to give a rationale for the inquiry and explain why I have chosen to look at boys.  For example, the brief research I have already conducted has shown disparity between the academic achievements of girls and boys and has suggested that boys learn in a different way to girls.  Because of this I have asked the question:

"Would certain activities and learning styles work better for boys?"

The C.D.E.T.. Code of Conduct, Standards of good practice, challenges the Teacher 

"to use adequate and flexible teaching skills to create a productive learning environment"
and
"recognise physical differences and limitations and different learning styles and modify the teaching"

In relation to my professional practice, I have in my dance class several boys who can be disruptive and do not appear to respond to my teaching methods in the same way as the girls.  Therefore this inquiry will help me to discover whether adapting my teaching methods/activities as advised by C.D.E.T. will inspire boys to learn.

Initial inquiry – look at existing research regarding gender differences in learning styles/activities.

In order to carry out this inquiry I will need access to students and with this in mind I am aware that I will need to follow the correct regulations and procedures to ensure safeguarding and the well-being of participants.

"Act in such a manner as to safeguard the interests and well-being of children and ensure that confidential information obtained in the course of professional work should not be disclosed without pupil or parent consent."

I have looked at the guidelines of the C.D.E.T. code of conduct and decided to use their guidelines as a framework by which I will ensure my inquiry is ethical, unbiased and non-judgmental. The code uses the following components: 

Integrity.  Objectivity.  Confidentiality. Data Protection.

Integrity

I will discuss fully my inquiry and gain support from my employer.

I have a responsibility when conducting my inquiry to be honest and ethical. I will follow the guidelines outlined in B.E.R.A.'s Ethical Guidelines for Educational Research.

I will obtain informed consent from participants in my study, using consent forms designed by Middlesex University who will be overseeing my project.

My inquiry will be my own work (unless referenced) and will be conducted honestly without plagiarism.
 
I will research any laws and regulations that will affect me carrying out my inquiry, i.e. The Children’s Act. I will act in accordance with all relevant laws to ensure safeguarding.

I will not pick and choose data to prove a point

I will ensure that all interviews conducted will be represented in their entirety.

I will take on the role of researcher with respect for my participants.

Objectivity

I will have clear aims and objectives about what I am hoping to achieve from the project.

My inquiry will be valid and reliable.

I will need to be able to explain my rationale for the topic I have chosen.

My results will be thoroughly researched, be non-judgmental and unbiased.  To do this I aim to collect a wide range of data from students, teachers and individuals.  I will conduct interviews that are open and honest and use open questioning, thereby, allowing participants the freedom to express their own opinions, without prejudice. I intend to do this by conducting interviews and surveys, with open questions (rather than leading questions) allowing participants the freedom to express their opinions.

I am aware that, as a researcher, I must avoid influencing participants by not asking leading questions.

I will respect the decisions of the interviewees, even if I don’t agree with their choices.

I will respect each individual’s rights not to participate and will not question further their decision.

I will avoid influencing the participants, ensuring I am clear about what I am choosing to achieve from the project and have clear aims and objectives.

Confidentiality

I will acquire the necessary consent, verbal or written through the correct channels, ensuring that consent is informed.

Ensure I have a fair representation of students and teachers and not just "cherry pick" those who I feel would give me the "correct" answers.

I will need to protect the participants and ensure that they are able to participate fairly amd confident that all answers will be confidential.

Data Protection

I will ensure that I adhere to the Data Protection Act 1998. Before conducting interviews I will discuss the Act with the participants and make them aware of its requirements.

I will select the appropriate methods of data collection to produce a complete piece of research ensuring that whatever method I use is designed to fit my objective.

I will use the information I collect solely for the purpose outlined in the study.

I will ensure that any information and data collected is not disclosed to a third party without prior consent from the student, individual or parent.

I will protect the data I collect, ensuring that is not accessible to others. I will do this by storing all the information in a folder on my own personal computer that will be password encrypted.

Dispose of the data after my research in the correct manner required by law.

No comments:

Post a Comment